What You Need to Know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway.
We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
Automatic bill payments
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to
- ATM transactions
- Everyday Debit Card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
If use of your Card overdraws your account, you will be notified and you agree to make immediate payment to the Bank of the amount of any such overdraft, together with such service charges as we may impose.
What fees will I be charged if Byline Bank pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $36 (NSF Item) each time we pay an overdraft.
- A Continuous Overdraft Fee of $24.00 will be charged upon the fourth consecutive Business Day a consumer account is overdrawn. Additionally, an account that is overdrawn after the fourth consecutive Business Day will continue to be charged a $6.00 Continuous Overdraft fee for every Business Day the account is in an overdraft status for a period of thirty (30) Business Days from the date in which the account originally became overdrawn. If the account is no longer in overdraft status at the end of the fourth consecutive Business Day, the account will not be charged a Continuous Overdraft Fee.
- You will be charged up to a maximum of five (5) NSF items per day.
What if I want Byline Bank to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday Debit Card transactions you may opt-in to SafetyNet at any of our locations, or go to our website at www.bylinebank.com/safety-net-form.
SafetyNet covers transactions that bring your account to the negative up to $250. A confirmation letter of your new SafetyNet status will be sent to the address associated with your account.